Friday, February 14, 2014

The Cost of Weddings

Andrew and I saw a blog post recently on how much Utah brides typically spend on their weddings. The majority of them, I noticed, were $5,000 or less. I was surprised to see how expensive it could get for other brides. Suddenly, I felt a whole lot better about my own wedding day.

You see, I didn't get the dress I wanted, and we couldn't afford the reception decor package that I originally wanted. I didn't have catering or matching bridesmaid dresses or a program with singing and dancing to make my reception more interesting for the guests.

Do I wish I could have been in the $1,000 dress that I really loved and looked incredibly flattering on me? Absolutely. Giving that dress up was one of the biggest regrets that I had about my wedding day.

Do I wish I hadn't been as bored at my own reception and planned a more fun event for myself and my guests? That would have been amazing!

Do I wish I could have gotten my best friends and family member in matching dresses and suits to make the pictures look classier? Yeah, a bit.

But, on the other hand, after seeing that post, my husband and I became curious about how much we spent on our wedding and it was SO validating when I realized that we did all of it for about $2,000 (it was just a little under $2,000). The dress, the rings, the honeymoon, the decor; all of it.

I am not saying this is the right way to go for every couple. If you have the money to get your dream dress, get the backdrop and location of your dreams, and so on, good for you! Enjoy your wonderful special day. But if you don't, then there's nothing wrong with starting off your newly married life not going into debt over the wedding. It turns out, you may have access to more for less than you realize. And if not, isn't marrying them the one thing that REALLY matters about the entire event more than anything else anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment